Thursday, February 17, 2011

From Balch to Madison Square Garden, and a Cross Country Championship!

My last post was about getting the USATF Indoor Championships standard in the mile at CU’s Balch Fieldhouse. Well, I didn’t. I missed it by about 1 second. It was still a good first race back, but I was disappointed that I would have to travel somewhere to get the standard. Until I found out that I got to run in the Millrose Games in NYC. Then suddenly, traveling away for the weekend didn’t seem so bad after all.
My trip to New York City was great. I stayed in a hotel right accross from Madison Square Garden. I got great sleep and lots of much-needed alone time. I would say quiet time, but it way NYC… On Thursday after I arrived, I did my pre-race shake-out at the Armory. I got back to the room, ordered room service, and slept for 10 hours. Striaght! My race wasn’t until late Friday night, so Friday was quite relaxed, as well. Running in the Garden was a great experience. The warm-up area was a mad house. The track was tiny and the crown and music were loud. Overall, it was a lot of fun and I’d love to do it again next year. Video of my race here.
It was a good thing I got good sleep on Thursday night, because Friday I got practically no sleep. With the evening race and Brent’s race early Saturday morning, I was way too jazzed. Brent’s race (the Houston 1/2 Marathon USA Championships) was scheduled to go off at 8 a.m. I wanted to get up and run before so that I could catch my flight home. I ended up heading to the treadmill in the hotel at 6 a.m. I was wide awake and bored. I ran until it got light outside, then headed to central park. Mid-run I had great phone conversations with both Brent and our coach, Jay Johnson. Both were excited and poised. We all thought it was going to be a great day for Brent.
The race went off and, unlike last year, Brent went straight to the lead. He was feeling well. But then things turned sour on mile 8. He began having some breathing problems and dropped out. Maybe it was allergies from something in the air in Houston, we don’t really know. We just hope it never happens again. Shortly (but not immediately) after the race, Brent decided he would give it another go at the USA Cross Country Championships. Going into that weekend, we all thought he might be a national champion for the first time. We’d just have to wait another week.
The next weekend Brent headed out to San Diego and came home with a win! Finally. He needed a good race. I’ve always known he’s a champion. I know how hard he works. I know how badly he wants it. It’s been hard to watch him struggle the last few years. We just hope that his win was the first of many, and a great stepping-stone to a great track season.
Having had races that we’re both happy with, we’re really looking forward to the USATF Indoor Championships. I’ll be racing the mile and Brent will be in the 3k. I’ll post again after!
Also, last week I was honored to do a really fun podcast interview with Listen to it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment